The mission of the Japanese Society for Hygiene member is to research to aim comprehensive understanding of human, environment, and health, and make contribution to the society for maintaining health, preventing illness and promotion of illness prevention based on the result of the research.
Under the freedom of learning, the members have the right to explore the truth based on their specialized judgment and have a great responsibility to respond to the expectation of the society as specialists.
The members of this society hold accountable for the society, participate in building and maintaining healthy relationship between science and society, and decide the code of conduct that regulate fairness in their behavior.
This code of conduct was composed based on “the code of conduct for scientists”, which was a declaration made by Science Council of Japan on October 3rd, 2006.
- The members of the Japanese Society for Hygiene (hereinafter referred as the members) have the responsibility of making contribution to health and welfare for people, safety and tranquility of the society, and conservation of the earth’s environment by utilizing their specialized knowledge, technique and experience.
- The members must increase and maintain their specialized knowledge, ability, and skills, have the attitude to always make the best decision and put forth their effort.
- The members must actively explain the content and significance of the research they are involved in and consider the possible effect on human, society, and environment, and publicize the research results from a neutral and objective standpoint.
- The members must keep the research and researched data strictly and must handle it thoroughly. They must not have nor take part in an unfair practice such as fabrication, falsification, and plagiarism.
- The members must be aware that the establishment and maintenance of research environment that makes it possible to conduct responsible research and prevent an unfair practice are the most important obligation and must actively improve the quality of research environment that they belong to.
- The members must follow the law and related regulation for conducting research and use the research fund.
- The members must respect the personality and human rights for the cooperators of the research and must consider their welfare.
- The members must follow the guideline such as basic policy for conducting an animal experiment at the research institution and conduct the animal experiment appropriately with sufficient amount of consideration to animal rights.
- The members must criticize other researchers appropriately, and they must listen to criticism toward them humbly and exchange opinions with sincere attitude. Also, they must criticize other researchers and their research results and achievement fairly.
- The members must not discriminate individuals based on race, sex, status, beliefs, religion in their research, education, and their activity in the society, and must respect the freedom and personality for individuals.
- The members must pay close attention to the conflict between individuals and organization, or between different organization in their research, inspection, evaluation, and judgement and must correspond appropriately while considering the publicness.